What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, April 27, 2015

Chatterings
















I can't believe it is the end of April already.  (I haven't even changed my chalkboard from Easter!)  I don't know what I've been doing with myself.  Not much of anything.  I do a lot of wandering, I know that.  Wandering to the narcissus to pick those lovelies.  Wandering around the flower circle to see what is coming out of hiding.  Other than that, I am not so sure.  I know I've been busy.  I DO things.  I just don't remember what those things are after they are done, I suppose.

We had strawberries the other night.  A huge container of beautiful berries, calling my name.  Oh my- were they so so soooooooooo good.  And so pretty on the plates.  Like rubies.   This is what abstinence does- even grocery store strawberries out of season can taste like the best strawberries ever eaten.  Another night we had roasted squash and brussel sprouts.  We still have quite a bit of squash in the cellar and I need to use them up quick.  I think brussel sprouts may be one of my most favorite vegetables...and my children love them too.  We splash a bit of vinegar on them when they are boiled but roasted, they only need a fork.  (And sometimes, not that.)

Now that the biggles are more...big... I haven't had to bake cookies in a long time.  They do it for me. How's that for handy?  In fact, I am thinking I should put each of them in charge of one night of dinner a week and give myself a break for a change!  Wouldn't that be something?  Two blissful nights of not cooking?   Each week?  I don't know if it will happen but...I'm certainly considering it.  

Maybe we should start...tonight?

8 comments:

JenniferM said...

I'd love to hear ideas for meals a 9-y-o boy could handle alone so I can attempt to interest mine in such endeavors. : )

lydia.purple said...

i remember seasons in my childhood/ preteen years where me and my older brother cooked often and between 3 kids we also cleaned the house... except for the parent's bedroom. i think that's a nice reward for all the work with little kids the parents do... the more kids you have the more helpers you have later on. that is if you teach them the skills and require them to do the work. not the norm anymore today.

Full of Grace said...

Bob made the most amazing brussel sprouts with bacon a while back. I could have ate just them that's how good they were! :) We've finally got daffodils but I just can't bear to cut them and bring them in the house, I've waited So Long for them ;)

Anonymous said...

I love to see your ins and outs of daily life. I, too, seem to be shuffling about sure that I'm doing *something*...I think it's because it's the same three things daily. Dishes, laundry, cleaning. :)

Oh, I put up my garden post on my blog. I know how much I love to hear what's going in in your garden!

Soon, soon! ;)

Debbie said...

I just realized how grown up Corin is looking these days. Our children grow up so quickly. It seems like just yesterday when mine were little and now they are grown and I am a grandmother to 2 precious little boys.

terricheney said...

When Katie was 12, I gave her a budget to work with and a notebook and an incentive: Make dinner one night per week for under $10 (yes that IS a bit high)BUT anything she saved of the $10 (here's the incentive!) she could have for pocket money for that pay period.

Well that girl learned quick to 'purchase' foods from my pantry (which had been bought on sale), to substitute and to cut costs in other ways. She even saved ingredients to use in the next week's meal. It was a great lesson for her, one which I wished I'd taught the other three as well, and I learned a few new tricks. I didn't know for instance that a pork butt makes a fairly nice substitute for a pot roast if beef roast is high and butts are on sale. The bonus was having the night off from cooking.

Abigail said...

Lovely photos. Flowers, fruit, and vegetables. Spring is here!!!

Here's a hearty "yes, do!" to children making supper. :)

Abigail said...

And why aim for only two days a week? I say, make it four or five or...seven. (Call me Mrs. Lazybones.)