What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Yarn and Art






My Don't Buy a Skein in 2015 challenge was almost a bust this week.  By some fluke, I happened to show up at the library to return some books just in time for knitting group- without realizing it was knitting group day.  I had some errands to run, one being the craft store, so I said "I've missed the last few knitting days- while I am at the craft store I will just pick up a skein and a couple needles...I have coupons already...and then show up on my way back home."  Thanks to my girl, who happens to read my blog every now and again and happened to raise her eyebrows at the suggestion and kindly reminded me about my resolution, I refrained.  But it was close.    I did end up going to knitting day, if only to show that I hadn't abandoned the group- and whaddya know?  Some yarn and knitting needles had been donated to the library!

I finished a twisted step-sister ear warmer in some yarn I got for Christmas last year.  Still a ball and a bit left of that.  Corynn had said she would love to have one of them too- she almost stole mine...so, probably something will have to be done about that.  ;-)

Incidentally, the auto-focus on my camera no longer works making it super hard to take any sort of self-portrait.  The above pictures were INTERESTING to take, to say the least.  Thankfully, I figured out the twisty LCD screen- which was the only was it was able to finally happen.

I haven't had much time to pick up yarn but I got through the first and second rows of my ripple afghan and am nearly out of my first skein already!  Holy smokers!  I hope that using all my homespun yarn will yield an actual afghan and not something more akin to a super bulky, super long scarf.  After all, there is no opportunity to just go and buy more yarn.  It will be either an afghan or a scarf- and that will have to be what it was meant to be.

I am reading Hidden Art by Edith Schaeffer.  I have intended to read it for years now and just have never made time to do so- I had even borrowed a copy from my mom several months ago.  When a friend mentioned me reading it in the comments of this blog, I knew that I needed to just crack it open.  I really love it.  (So thank you, Quinn, for the nudge!)

Mom's copy of the book is old and dry-rotty around the glue but it has the most sentimental, sweet inscription in the front.  I love reading inscriptions- and this is by far the best one I've read to date.
Makes me want to have a Penny in my own life.  I wonder how Cathy was shaped by the book.  Did she read and absorb bits of it?  Did she put it in a bookshelf where it stood for years, waiting to be cracked open?  Oooh...the mystery.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the headband! :) I really enjoyed Hidden Art. What is a Family? by Edith is good too! :)

Thanks for the lovely card!!!

MJ said...

love the headband. i hope to learn to knit or crochet this year it is one of my goals!

Abigail said...

I like that you chose yarn the exact shade as your eyes. Both so lovely!

Abigail said...

(Yes, both eyes ARE so lovely! Also, the headband...)

Full of Grace said...

That headband is GORGEOUS with your eyes..Simply GORGEOUS!!!