What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Family Day at the Zoo



Matt took a week off of work two (three?) weeks ago.  "VACATION".  Only- not.  The purpose for it had nothing to do with beaches, hotel rooms, car trips, sleeping in, eating out, or going to new and exciting places.

Oh man- do I wish they would!


Every vacation day he has, he spends...working.  And thus, I spend...working.  This particular vacation was about wood.  Splitting wood- a ridiculous amount of wood- to warm up our home this winter.



I kinda sorta hate that we don't have REAL vacations- even just short day trips every now and again. I realize that the money we spend on vacations is instead spent bettering this place, the time people spend vacationing is spent doing things that we will ultimately appreciate for much longer than just a few vacation days...but going AWAY has it's perks too.

The biggest one of all?

We get Matt all to himself, completely undistracted from work.  Present.



 So over his vacation week I absolutely INSISTED we get one family day.  ONE is not too much to ask, is it?

 I had promised the children I would take them to the zoo this summer so that seemed like the perfect day trip.


And it was!


We ate breakfast early, packed our lunch and headed out.

We went to the Syracuse NY Zoo because it happens to a hop, skip and jump from this guy and his girl:



My brother Jonathan and Abigail.  The cherry on top of the whole day.

 
Of course, we were back home by 3:30 and splitting wood.  

So technically, it was a Half-A-Family-Day.

And I will be insisting on the other half of the family day soon...  

(wink)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

so glad you had him all to yourself...well, with kids...for a few hours at least! I'm loving your hair in that last picture....your family is as always so very beautiful.

Terri said...

Great day! We live about 25 minutes from Syracuse and I've never been to the zoo. Me thinks I'll have to check it out!

Bonnie said...

Dear Newman Children,
Please stop looking so grown up.
You were babies when I first "met" your mama and now.... Sigh.I know, you can't help it.
Mama's friend,
Mrs. L---------