What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real

{Pretty}







There isn't much in the way of colors bursting forth from the earth just yet.  Except, of course, green...which is as lovely a color as I can imagine after the winter we just left behind.  I can tell you, though, just watching the plants grow gives me such hope for the future.  One day there will be white lilacs perfuming those branches and peonies hanging heavy on those burgendy stalks.  I run my hand over the bee balm just to smell the rich spicy scent that it leaves on my fingers.  

Meanwhile, I am happy that many of my plants are established and hearty since some renegade chickens are using my flowerbeds as dustbaths.  While their bathing habits only deter weeds, I am okay with it.  The minute they mess up my perennials, however, the mean Rebecca will show up.  

And I will show NO MERCY.

{Happy}







Those pallets were supposed to be for an awesome three stage composting area.  THAT never happened.  Then, the boy took charge and in an afternoon of rummaging around the place for ahem-junk-ahem, he had a three-room fort complete with table, flag and potted plants.

{Funny}


Did you know that ants take care of aphids, herding them places and protecting them, much like a shepherd does to sheep?  Because they "milk" them and drink the sweet stuff they produce?

Corynn does.

(Thanks, Apologia!)

{Real}






Why is it that when the most fun is being had, the biggest messes are being made?  Rainy afternoons = messy houses = tons of fun.


round button chicken

6 comments:

beth said...

these are the days, rebecca - - you are truly in the thick of the finest of times. *happy sigh*
so happy for you - for the gift of last weekend as well as the gift of to what and whom you and your love returned ~

b in va

Bobbi said...

Perfection!!!

Renata said...

Beautiful...all of it! My boys would be very impressed with the house! I know what they'll want to do if I show them :). As a mother I often have to remind myself not to kind the mess, but rather look at the fun the children are having! Those last few pictures look like loads of fun!

BajaManna said...

Looks like somebody in your family will be in the building trade! I LOVE those first forts that young boys make! We kept the one that our younger son made until he got rid of it as an adult. I still miss it.

Unknown said...

Love the house!!! WOW!! :D

Abigail said...

Your comment about our pallets? HA!!!

The stone walkway in the forsythia bush, yes, was a classy touch, but at the first touch of spring Millie simply propped pallets against Spicy Spicy Tree for their dwelling, which, as anyone can see, is a pauper's shack compared to this man's mansion.

Who needs quilts when you've built everything else but the kitchen sink?