What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The -online- Old Schoolhouse Magazine (a review)




This review is a sample review for the Schoolhouse Review crew, which is a small part of TheOldSchoolhouse.com.  I thought I would take a minute to check out the online version of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.  Specifically, the November/December issue.  I've heard of the magazine before, but never really took the time to check it out.  If you have any electronic toys, you can read the magazine on Kindle, Androids, Nooks and iphones but little 'ole me will have to check 'em out on my nice, bulky, dinosaur of a computer.  ;-)

I am not typically a magazine girl because I dislike clutter and I don't like magazine piles laying around.  (Why is it that once they are in the house it is really hard to throw them away?!?)  But an ONLINE magazine means NO CLUTTER...so.... score!

 The Old Schoolhouse magazine covers several different approaches to home education and it covers a wide spectrum of ages and grades and learning styles.  There are articles about preoccupying the youngest of the bunch while older children do school to sending your children off to college, offering encouragement to parents of children with special needs and to parents of children who are gifted.  There is truly something for everyone.  Best of all, the magazine approaches home education with an unapologetically Christian worldview. 

There were plenty of articles on frugality (and you know how right up my alley that is!) like using the library and other community resources (ahem.  Totally do that), The Little House Legacy of Christmas (yes! we love Little House!), and several interesting articles on the teaching of art and artists and composers.  Needless to say, I found the magazine incredibly informative and incredibly suited to my own personal interests!  Here I thought I was on my own little island~ who knew?!

I could really relate to the article A Truly Wonderful Time by Beth Foster.  She spoke of the tradition of hand-making gifts for Christmas and of little people conspiring together to bring about great surprises.  Not only is it a beautiful thing to hear the giggles and feel the air thick with anticipation, but, when giving hand-made gifts~ children are taught the fruits of the spirit and their thoughts and time and efforts have become part of the gift as well.  She spoke of the gift of PEACE during the holidays and offered suggestions at how actually FEEL at peace during the holidays, something many people seem to struggle with.  Myself included. (Of course, her gift making started back in October...and mine started last week.  THAT could be a clue.)

I found an excellent article on teaching perspective in art.  The author shows how easily and unintimidating it can be to teach perspective while showing stunning art from the likes of DaVinci and Caillebotte to expand the readers' understanding.  Enjoying and exploring art is easy to teach, learning about artists is simple to do- but TEACHING ART (the methods and means and science of it) does not come naturally to me.  I look forward to implementing some of her suggestions in our art projects this year. 

One thing I really appreciated about this magazine is their emphasis on knowing the laws on education, your rights as homeschooling parents and the historicity of those rights.  There are four articles on issues pertaining to these important aspects of education in this single issue!  It is extremely important, as homeschooling parents, to be aware of our rights and liberties to educate our children and how those rights are being played out today.

This magazine is not only an encouragement to homeschooling families- but a wealth of knowledge too.  Kindof like a homeschooling teacher for the homeschooling teacher.  :-)

Besides the fact that it doesn't find its way to the bathroom floor, you know what else is great about an online magazine?  You can click the link to the actual article you want to read in the table of contents and it takes you right there- instead of looking through an entire magazine to find what you are looking for.  Rocket speed!  That was a pretty great time saver.

If you like~ check it out. It's free, it's easy to navigate and hey, you might just learn something!  ;-)



2 comments:

Miranda Hupp said...

I was afraid of becoming too review-y too. I didn't want to take the personal side out of my blog. I hope I am still doing that!

I try to only get the items that I KNOW we would love or love to try. Every once in a while you may have to "take one for the team" but that is very rare.

*still crossing my fingers and waiting oh so impatiently to hear if WE have been accepted*



debbie said...

so cool