What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Green

 

 




What a busy weekend we had! Lots of scurrying about, lots of cooking, lots of baking; lots of people, coming and going, lots of forking hay on the garden and planning too many things in too little spaces of time and all the while, praying for just a little bit longer to get everything done.

 I know how amazing it is to have no-coat days in mid-November and I know it can't last forever, but how I *wish* it could. There is still so many outdoor things to do...finish haying all the gardens and beds, trimming and mulching the flower circle, bringing in the hammocks that hang limply and forlorn, and the table where we lingered long after summer suppers. Coldness creeps ever closer and I know, when it comes, I will hibernate until it is over and my fingertips thaw.

Over the weekend the winds howled fiercely on the hill- so much so that it carried our phone line off of the house where it still drapes upon the ground , waiting for a repairman to string it back up. As it whipped the southern side of the house we sat inside, wondering at how snug we were despite the cold winds blowing, how wonderfully these new windows work! We didn't feel even the slightest breeze which is a far cry from what it was last year.

In the small, quiet spaces amidst the flurry of doing, a cinnamon candle was lit, an envelope left us stunned and speechless and shaking our heads in wonder, I set aside the knitting needles and picked up a hook (and realized just how much faster crochet is than knitting!), leftover apple crisp was spooned over vanilla yogurt and called 'breakfast' instead of dessert, I fell asleep with Matt rubbing the soreness from my aching head (bliss) and the first of the handmade Christmas gifts was completed.

The very best kind of weekend. 

(The scarf is a free crochet pattern and can be found here.) 

5 comments:

lydia.purple said...

I see there was corn for dinner in fairy land... i love it. Oh and we live where the coatless november never seems to end, and i love having 9 months of basically summertime... but let me tell you, 9 months of no rain also means no garden or only if you spend a ridiculous amount of money and time on watering for 3/4 of the year. So hug that coat next time you have to put it on and dance in the rain :-)

And p.s.: if i ever make it to the States may I please come and visit you?

Unknown said...

LOVE the fairy dinner! :) Your scarf is beautiful and your bread just looks DELICIOUS!!! :)


:D

Leah T. said...

Love all the pictures, especially the meal (and centerpiece!)for the fae folk! :D

And that (herb?) bread looks amazing!!! Would you share the recipe? Oh, how I love homemade bread, baking it and eating it! Yum!

Rebecca said...

Lydia- yes please! (And I have been known to dance in the rain. Unfortunately, just about now the rain turns to snow and SNOW is another matter entirely! hehehe) But it is true- I can't have EVERYTHING. :-)

Thanks Amy!

Leah- I took the picture of the bread for the express purpose of posting the recipe on my recipe blog. It is a Pesto Parmesan bread and I have made SIX loaves of it in November already. Can you say CARBS?!? ;-)

Amanda said...

Dear Rebecca,

Your weekend is...dreamy:-)

The colors are perfect for this time of year.

And, I'm smitten by that scarf. I'm looking forward to checking on this pattern. What a nice gift.