What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2 Weeks of Meals- because you asked.

 

When I posted about Squeezing the Grocery Budget 'til it squeaks, I was asked if I might share one of our two-week meal plans.  So here it is!  My menu plans are made so that I know I have ingredients in the house to prepare meals-but they are made casually.  What I mean to say is- if I don't feel like making a particular thing on a particular day, I change days around or even replace it with something else.  I decided before I posted the menu plan that I would wait until an actual two weeks had passed so you would know what we ACTUALLY ate, and not what we "planned" to eat.

After writing it all down and looking at it in one place, I realized just how much peanut butter we consume. Wow.  I am off to buy stocks in Peter Pan.  ;-) 

  Two things to keep in mind:  1) Because I am trying to lose weight, I usually eat differently than the children at lunch time.  My lunches usually involve salads or soups or couscous with veggies.  I didn't include these for simplicities' sake.  And 2) When you see *HG, it means HOMEGROWN.  In the case of fruits, however it is more home preserved than homegrown, since, sadly, we have no mature fruit-bearing trees yet.)

Oh, and I have tried to provide recipes where ever possible.

Week 1 (No payday this week so we have to eat what we HAVE, which isn't too much!)

Sunday:  
Breakfast:  cereal and milk (our Sunday tradition-since I am too busy getting people 'fancied' to make anything.)
Lunch: peanut butter and pumpkin butter (*HG) sandwiches
Snack: pretzels, banana
Dinner:  Goulash (*HG sauce, beef, onions); bread and butter.
Dessert: peanut butter cookies (*HG eggs)

Monday:
Breakfast: Huckleberry Scones (*HG huckleberries), vanilla yogurt
Lunch: peanut butter and pumpkin butter (*HG) sandwiches
Snack: pretzels, p.b. cookie, raisins
Dinner: Taco Salad (*HG beef, onions, salsa) and tortilla chips

Tuesday:
Breakfast: cinnamon raisin oatmeal
Lunch:  peanut butter and apple butter (*HG) sandwiches
Snack: peanut butter and honey popcorn
Dinner: Zucchini Soup (*HG zucchini, onions), cheddar onion biscuits (*HG onion)

Wednesday:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs (*HG), oranges
Lunch: peanut butter and apple butter (*HG) sandwiches
Snack: peanut butter and honey popcorn.  Slice of cheddar cheese.
Dinner: Turkey**, mashed potatoes, sweet cinnamon acorn squash (*HG), canned pears (*HG)

Thursday:
Breakfast: blueberry zucchini muffins (*HG blueberries, zucchini), cottage cheese
Lunch: cheese sandwiches
Snack: zucchini muffin (what can I say?  They like them.), orange
Dinner: Stuffing-topped turkey casserole (*HG onion, zucchini.  Used leftovers), green beans (*HG) and applesauce (*HG)


Friday:
Breakfast: blueberry zucchini bread (*HG egg, blueberry, zucchini), HOMEMADE vanilla yogurt (I finally did it!!!)(*HG maple syrup), slice of cheddar
Lunch: zucchini soup (leftovers), tuna fish on crackers
Snack: banana, pretzels, marshmallows, piece of chocolate
Dinner: PIZZA night! (Tonights' options: Ham and Pineapple.  Onion and cheese), carrot sticks with ranch dressing.  (*HG egg, ham, onion, and pizza sauce)


Saturday:
Breakfast: dippy eggs (*HG), blueberry zucchini muffins (*HG egg, blueberries, zucchini), vanilla yogurt
Lunch: sandwiches.  Peanut Butter and apple butter (*HG)
Snack: last of the pb popcorn.  Bananas.
Dinner: LEFTOVER NIGHT.

 Week 2 (Grocery week!)

Sunday:
Breakfast: cereal and milk
Lunch: sandwiches (peanut butter and honey)
Snack: McDonalds ice cream cones (the children were very good at a funeral viewing we attended so we treated them on the way home.)
Dinner: Turkey and Wild Rice Soup (using carcass) (*HG onion), parmesan breadsticks (*HG egg)


Monday:
Breakfast: scrambled egg bagel toppers (*HG egg, bacon)
Lunch: cinnamon raisin bread
Snack: copycat OatsNHoney granola bars.  (I quadrupled the recipe.) 
Dinner: sub sandwiches, orange, pretzels


Tuesday:
Breakfast: blueberry zucchini streusel muffins (*HG zucchini, egg, blueberry), cottage cheese
Lunch: cheese sandwiches
Snack: granola bars (from above)
Dinner: sausage gravy and buttermilk biscuits, peas, peaches (*HG)


Wednesday:
Breakfast: vanilla yogurt (*HG maple syrup), granola (from above) and huckleberries (*HG)
Lunch: peanut butter and banana sandwiches
Snack: air popped popcorn with salt/butter
Dinner: Potato Corn Chowder with Bacon, corn muffins.  (*HG onion, corn, bacon)


Thursday:
Breakfast: dippy eggs, toast, vanilla yogurt with huckleberries (*HG eggs, huckleberries, maple syrup)
Lunch: peanut butter and pumpkin butter (*HG) sandwiches
Snack: roasted red pepper hummus (*HG red peppers) and crackers
Dinner: Spaghetti (*HG beef, sauce, dehydrated green peppers), beet greens (*HG onions, beet greens, bacon grease), applesauce (*HG)


Friday:
Breakfast: huckleberry scones (*HG huckleberries, egg), vanilla yogurt
Lunch: can 'o soup, crackers
Snack: pretzels with honey mustard dip, marshmellows
Dinner: Pizza Night! Tonights' options:  BBQ chicken pizza and Three cheese.  Carrot sticks and roasted red pepper hummus (*egg, pizza sauce, onion, roasted red peppers)


Saturday:
Breakfast: mini blueberry bagels
Lunch: leftover pizza (for those who stayed home from the baby shower)
Snack: leftover popcorn from shower
Dinner: Minestrone Soup  (*HG- onions, beef, zucchini, green peppers, green beans) and Parmesan rosemary foccacia wedges (*HG rosemary)
Foods taken to Baby Shower:
several batches of lemonade
Ready to POP white chocolate covered popcorn
Rye Dip with rye cubes
Lemon Fruit dip and bananas


**I forgot to mention in the grocery budgeting post another good tip for saving money.  Stocking up on "holiday" meats.  After holidays, the  meats are reduced heavily just to be rid of them.  At Thanskgiving or even before when there are 13cent per pound turkey sales, I buy several turkeys to stock the freezer. You can't beat 13 cents a pound for meat, my friends. Turkey feeds us at least two times-often three or four if I include a soup as well.

Hams also, are a great buy after Easter.  Which is coming up, as you know! ;-)

So there you have it.  All we ate for the last two weeks.  Plus or minus a few handfuls of 60% Ghirardelli chocolate chips.  ;-)

 

5 comments:

MameyJane said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I've been needing to crack down on my grocery budget. With four kiddos and all that a home demands, I sometimes find it SO hard to stay FOCUSED on these things. Does anyone else have this problem? :)

Unknown said...

WOW! Cool! Thanks, woman!! :) I can't wait to check out some of the recipes...red pepper hummus!! YUM!:D

Oh and since you like to garden & can so much, I will allow you *just this once, mind you* to stock my shelves this year. ;) :P

Paula said...

We go through an obscene amount of peanut butter and honey too. My husband has pb&h at least once and a day and often twice a day. I enjoy peanut butter for breakfast once in a while too.

I shop every two weeks, I find that really helps with saving money.

Rebecca said...

Ummm....yep MameyJane. That about sums up my life.

Amy- well, if you moved to PA......the shipping would be ridiculous otherwise! :-)

Paula- I comfort myself in knowing peanut butter is healthy. Way more than the, say, jellybeans I could stock my cupboards with. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks Rebecca! What a help! And an encouragement, it all sounds yummo. When you have a moment, and if you feel like it, could you do a post about what you do with your babies. I know that can get some hate mail, so I totally understand if you not keen. Just remember reading somewhere that all your babies sleep through fairly early on/settle themselves to sleep, and they all slot into a bit of a routine? Thinking that is probably not coincidence! My little Rebecca, now 4 months old, is turning out to be a wee bit tricky. Sweet, but tricky;-)