What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hear Us ROAR.







My computer is once again acting up and I am unable to fix it.  I can't upload any new pictures- I can't even seem to stay on the internet for more than five minutes before it shuts down.  BUMMER.  Especially BIG bummer because I have so many things I'd love to share with you!  It's killing me!

So my cucumber fingers are trying to type on the teensy keys of our netbook and I swiped a picture from last year just so I could say hi.  "HI!"  I'll leave you with this bit of reading, until I can figure out a way to share the pretty great things that are happening around here.

It is a response from G.K.Chesterton to a question going a little something like this:  "Do you really want to hinder women from being as worthwhile as men in the workplace?"

They are always talking about man going forth to wield power, to carve his own way, to stamp his individuality on the world, to command and to be obeyed.  This may be true of a certain class, but the ordinary man who typifies and constitutes the millions that make up our civilization is no more free for the higher culture than his wife is.  Indeed, he is not so free.  Of the two sexes the woman is in the more powerful position.

For the average woman is at the head of something with which she can do as she likes; the average man has to obey orders and do nothing else.  He has to put one dull brick on another dull brick, and do no nothing else; he has to add one dull figure to another dull figure, and do nothing else.  The woman's world is a small one, perhaps, but she can alter it.  The woman can tell the tradesman with whom she deals some realistic things about himself.  The clerk who does this to the manager generally gets the sack.  Above all... the woman does work which is in some small degree creative and individual.  She can put the flowers or the furniture in fancy arrangements of her own.  I fear the bricklayer cannot put the bricks in fancy arrangements of his own, without disaster to himself and others.  If the woman is only putting a patch into a carpet, she can choose the thing with regard to color.  I fear it would not do for the office boy dispatching a parcel to choose his stamps with a view to color; to prefer the tender mauve of the sixpenny to the crude scarlet of the penny stamp. A woman cooking may not always cook artistically; still she can cook artistically.  She can introduce a personal and imperceptible alteration in the composition of a soup.  The clerk is not encouraged to introduce a personal and imperceptible alteration into the figures of a ledger...


~ G.K.Chesterton, Common Sense 101. April 1906

I thought his answer was brilliant and thought-provoking.  Rather changes your perspective, doesn't it?  What think ye??

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Yes! I'm in total agreement.

Emma said...

I love this passage, how lovely and true and completely liberating!

Terri said...

I agree! "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." :-)

Leah T. said...

I need to read some of Chesterton's works. I know my husband would probably like me to as well.

Bonnie said...

I love that it's from writings called "Common Sense 101". It absolutely is, and it's a pity how much common sense has been lost in the years since then.
(If that doesn't make any sense, remember I just had a baby. My brain is still not in full function : ) )