What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Rare Form



When I was acting a bit 'off' when I was a child, my mother would always say to me "Well. YOU'RE in rare form."

And today is one of those days. I can just feel it. Rare form. And I am in it.

Perhaps it is because I made a startling discovery today:


The no groceries challenge just got a WHOLE lot less fun with an empty sugar bowl. Sugar and I are not soon parted.

I also discovered that the chickens cracked corn is gone. The cat food is gone. The diaper basket is shockingly sparse. The milk is officially consumed. And the gas gauge is falling down like Londons Bridge.

Two more days.....

Or maybe my funk is due to not going to bed well last night.

Or perhaps it is because I have made two loaves of bread (I gave the two I baked away yesterday), a double batch of pitas, some Huckleberry Zucchini muffins, a large batch of hummus (and did the dishes for it all) while still trying to do school and while looking longingly outside at the most gorgeous day in the last 5 months which I am missing because I am inside making bread (and washing dishes) for the bazillionth time.


And tonight I have a 'thing' which requires Matt to feed and put the children to bed so I have to have dinner all ready for them and I have NO idea what to make and now it is TOO LATE to make anything in the crockpot.

I feel like saying "There are the pickled eggs. There is the pile of fresh pitas. Make yourselves some pickled egg pitas for heavens sake and have a muffin for dessert!" But....that is the BAD wife (and Mama) coming out.

And besides, pickled egg pitas sound just about gross.

So what do you fix for supper on your grumpy days when your groceries are limited and you don't want to spend any more time in the kitchen?


PS.(as if I would forget!)

::: Mondays Fare :::

Breakfast~
Peaches and Cream Oatmeal. And by peaches I mean dehydrated peach chunks from last year and by cream I mean a splash of milk. But hey. Peaches and Cream sounds so delectable, no?

raw Eggnog

Lunch~ warm, fresh from the oven whole wheat bread. Unadulterated by anything but luscious warm streams of butter. The children snarfed a whole loaf.

Afternoon Snack~ the last of the pretzel rods I keep in the car for 'emergency car snacks'. Dehydrated apple chips (from the fall)

Dinner~ I was helping with the last boil of the syrup season from early afternoon until evening. On syrup days, we all kinda eat smorgasbord style. Linda made cabbage, carrots and potatoes. I brought onion and pepper Italian sausage, two jars of canned pears and two loaves of homemade bread.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you much of a freezer gal? chicken? peas? hmmm the freezer tends to be my saving grace in this household! i always have some meat and veggies in there or PASTA!!!

Hang in there, wish i could share some of the flowers that i got for my bday with you. i leaped over to my 30s yesterday. Yuck... Praise God he gave me peace while hubby and i sat by a fire eating gram crackers and chocolate (he said CVS did not have marshmallows : ) drinking wine, with one baby in bed and the other attached via the moby, on sunday night, last of my 20's. God reminded me the 20's have been a blessing what could the 30s bring... Blessings!

Hang in there. only 2 more days! : ) You can do it girl! virtual **Hug***

much love, and prayers your way!!
-bobbi

stephaniegiese said...

Sorry you are having an off day. You are so dedicated to your family, it is inspiring to see how you so willingly serve them, even if you don't feel like it. I probably would cave and order pizza if I'm being honest, but I do try to make extra pancakes & waffles and keep them in the freezer, then sometimes we have breakfast for dinner with some scrambled eggs. Do you have any leftover onion & pepper sausage? You could make an egg casserole with that and a little of your cheese and serve it with some of your muffins. Good luck!

Michelle G said...

oh my. I make what I call "garbage soup" (which is just every bit of left-over meat, veggie,pasta,rice,etc... from the fridge/freezer) I do NOT call it that out-loud - but the funny thing is - my family LOVES it. It's never the same twice that's for sure - but I put anything including sweet potatoes diced up...broccoli stems sliced thinly...canned beans for a bit more protein..ANYTHING :)
I had a friend's daughter stop by one evening - and she went home after dinner and told her mother "She made the BEST soup!" lol....when I told her i couldn't possibly share the recipe - i had to explain that it wasn't because I was being stingie - i REALLY didn't have a recipe! :)
blessings to you all!
M

mary said...

Do you know the stone soup story ? A little bit of this, a dash of that, something else and in the end there was delicious soup. You have meat, eggs and you are resourceful. You will find something, cannot wait to see what you made.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I try to always keep a couple jars of pasta sauce, and boxes of spaghetti and macaroni in the pantry. Tuna melts are another favorite around here, very quick...we have that with canned fruit almost every Sunday night. You have done an awesome job feeding your crew with what you have...we can all learn from you...I've made it a point to pick up an item or two for my pantry everytime I step in a store...even if I don't need it at that moment. Today I grabbed a big tub of oats from Aldi and navy beans and rice from Wallyworld. Thank you for sharing so openly with the rest of us... Two.more.days! You can do it!!!

Blessings,
Janet

Nicole said...

Scrambled eggs (from my chickens) and toast are my go-to's on days like that. How sick of eggs is your family? &: ) Tonight I made a stir-fry with rice, cut-up veggies, and leftover chicken...

Unknown said...

RARE FORM is my middle name! ;)

Bonnie said...

Bobbi-
My Birthday is the day after yours! (But 2 years earlier- don't worry, the 30's aint bad : ) )

Quit makin' me hungry Rebecca.

Rebecca said...

Happy birthday Bobbi! Sounds like a glorious way to break in the 30's. I have two more months of my twenties to go. sigh. I am getting old.

Stephanie... I was wishing for that sausage to make soup...but I left in there for my in-laws to enjoy. :-(

Soup is a great idea. But required work. Tuna was a great idea. But we had that for lunch. Eggs are a great idea. But we eat those ALL THE TIME at breakfast. Spaghetti was a good idea. But it made dishes.

(Are you all seeing my problem now?!)

And Bonnie. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TOO! Last year I told myself I was going to write down your birthday and then forgot. I just did it now. So it is a done deal! Hope your day was happy!