What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Homemade Wheat Thins (and my newest kitchen mate)


Several years now I have wanted a grainmill.

Several years now, my husband and I have argued back and forth as to which kind we ought to get.

I opted for the reliable, cheap one that was ELECTRIC (Nutrimill) because *I* am the one going to be grinding the flour after all and frankly *I* have enough to do than to grind wheat by hand. (read: Ain't happening.) And I didn't want to waste all sorts of money on the grinder then not be able to afford the wheat!

He wanted the crazy insane expensive one, made in Montana from all cast iron/metal parts that was hand-powered in case the electricity went out. He promised *he* would grind the flour. (right.)

And so for years, we went back and forth~ both of us RIGHT. (But me especially. ;-) ) And so...we never actually GOT one.

Well~ recently my dehydrator went kaput and for the first time ever (outside of trying to sell our bunnies) I went on Craigslist, thinking I might be able to replace it. (I can't live without dehydrating!) No such luck. Then, just for giggles, I searched for 'grain mill'.

And lo, and behold! found an old version of this one.

Manual AND electric.
Solidly built AND cheap.

It was a done deal.

The ONE day I go on Craigslist, the very thing we have wanted for years was up for grabs for a song!

Matt picked it up today and we celebrated by making Homemade Wheat Thins.

And they were deeeee-lish.

WERE being the operative word here.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

WooHoo! They look delicious!

Full of Grace said...

See, Craigslist IS a good thing :) They look delicious :)

Bonnie said...

Luckeeee. (said in very Napoleon sort of way, if you have been so unfortunate as to see Napoleon Dynamite. By far one of the dumbest (but hilarious) movies EVER, and endlessly quotable)
I must try the crackers, oh my they look good! I roll my crackers through my pasta roller, so much easier than fighting a rolling pin.

Bill & Stacy said...

Yay for you! See, good things come to those who wait (and Pray)!
I LOVE the homemade wheat thins. They NEVER last at my house. Enjoy your new toy!!!

Lindsey's Photographs said...

They look amazing! We put some money into a good grainmill. I love it. I use it almost everyday. I will have to try these wheat thins!

Abigail said...

Yum.

YUM.

I want some right NOW!