What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

the REST of the days of Christmas

I had plans to write much more on this subject, but actually, right about now I have finally reached my Christmas fun quota and am just about nearly sick to death of partying. So here is the abridged version of our 12 days of Christmas. I had hopes to do a dolls' Christmas and make some gifts for them (scarves, pencils, books, candy, blankets, etc.) but that never did happen. Next year it MUST. And I put a ca-bash (this year) on the yearly wildlife tree, unless I get an extra dose of gumption in the next day or two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On the 4th day of Christmas~ we had an ice cream sundae party.

On the 5th day of Christmas~ we took the children bowling for the first time ever.

We have some very stylish bowlers in the family.

There is the ballerina bowler:


The olympian bowler:


And the side-throw-then-hands in pocket bowler:


I (of course) was the most normal of the bunch. not

Matt won, but just by a hair (!!!) and I got no less than three strikes. Of course, I broke every nail on my right hand while doing it. Bowling is so much more fun now that you aren't inside of a cigarette smokebomb. (NY state law, my friends: one of the (very few) GOOD ones.)


On the 6th day of Christmas~ the children saw Mama kissing Santa Clause. (Never got around to a celebration)



Any resemblance?!?

On the 7th day of Christmas~ we had New Years Eve company stay overnight!!!!
We had special drinks and special food and in the morning, had de-lish cinnamon rolls. What more could you ask for?!?


On the 8th day of Christmas~ we decorated gingerbread paraphernalia. (Houses, sleighs, etc.)
Mental note: make your own gingerbread next year. Gingerbread house kits, while on sale after Christmas, are likely also smashed to smithereens. Just make it yourself. end note.


On the 9th day of Christmas~ I got sick. Nursed my throbbing head and nauseous tummy and slept through baby crying (I *think*) while the rest of the crew went to church.


On the 10th day of Christmas~ We had a Christmas book reading marathon before we pack them away for the season.



On the 11th day of Christmas~ we made thank you cards for all the gifts this Christmas. Used our Christmas cards for decorations and playing with glue is always fun. The WRITING of the cards will be done a bit each day for handwriting work.

On the 12th day of Christmas~ Had intended to do our yearly wildlife tree, but I had long lost my Christmas steam, so I called it quits without doing anything special. Such a bad Mama.


There ya have it. We squeaked out as much joy as could be had out of this Christmas. :-)

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

You certainly did! I went with wintery decorations, thinking I would leave them up longer. Comin' down as soon as I get a chance. I'm in spring cleaning mode, and never remember to plug the lights in anyway.
Ta-ta!
Bonnie

Nanci said...

You party animal, you!!! Funny how even partying can grow old, huh?

Last evening, Megan and I were talking about the Annual Gingerbread House Competition, and wondering if you did it this year since we had seen no post on it. You have restored our faith in you.

My kids absolutely loved the time they made GB houses with you. Meg still talks about it.

Miss you,

Jaya P said...

wow, thats 12 days of awesome. especially love the picture of the side-throw-then-hands in pocket bowler.

Full of Grace said...

I don't know, there seems to have been a lot of fun at the Newman Farm!!! What a great way to keep the festivities going (although you are probably ready for a bit of a respite now) :)

Peggy said...

Wow, I was tired by day 6 I think... I thoroughly enjoyed all of your festivities and pictures. I won't be writing about ours as it was, well, different this year. I'll just say we had a lovely visit with family and OUR home is truly home SWEET HOME!

I hope you are feeling much better now! Take care now!

Leah said...

If you're a "bad Mama", after doing ALL THAT - then what in the world is to be said for the rest of us?????


(Love the picture of you kissing Judah! But where's the one of your stylish bowling pose? I must say I feel deprived.)

House of Burke said...

Hi! Just wanted to drop in and let you know that I read your entire blog start to finish and feel totally inspired!

I love your 12 Days of Christmas! The book reading marathon looked like SO much fun! :) I love The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey - I used to read it when I was little!

Heidi said...

Enjoyed this post, but I especially thing the Thank you notes your made were awesome! Might have to try that!

Christine said...

Your Christmas looks fantastic!I love your stack of books!