What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Today......

I woke up to.... a nightmare about having egg customers lined at the door and the only eggs we had were all cracked (gasp!!!)

I picked....a bouquet for the table. Slightly more variety now that we are into June, but I still exhausted my flower capabilities for a few days with just a teeny amount of flowers. Oh, to have a Tudor garden full-to cut to my hearts content without ever seeing a difference!

I am remembering....the strawberry milkshakes we had with supper last night and looking forward to the strawberry spinach salad to go with supper tonight.



I comforted....this girl. Who, despite the fact that she has successfully ascended and descended the stairs thousands of times, decided to fall from the very top to the very bottom of the staircase (14 steep stairs), bouncing off of every hardwood step. TWICE she plummeted~ IN ONE MORNING.

I noticed....that our garden is being eaten alive by bugs. No plants are immune except the tomatoes. I might go rogue and get some sort of insecticide. I know, I know. We shall see.

My pen is... cruising along my full-page To-Do List pretty well. I even zip-tied the tomatoes, Mattie!

I have to go to..... the library. AND to clean the church. AND to CVS (great diaper deaL!).

I ache...in my hamstrings from picking strawberries. Yes-that was three days ago. Shut up. :-)

I am thankful that....we are finishing up school this week!

I made...rice krispy treats and promptly ate half of them. (I wish I were kidding.) This is why I cut them into squares and put them onto a platter instead of keeping them in the pan. Mental note: if you crave something for weeks~you WILL go overboard when you finally get them.


I am happy to....have the last of the strawberries dealt with-until Saturday (pie making day). I only made one batch of Strawberry Jam as I found eight jars of freezer jam left from last year. That oughta do us. So I made a batch of sorbet (oh.my.goodness is this stuff amazing) substituting peach nectar for the orange/pineapple juice. I'll keep it in the freezer until unexpected guests arrive. Or I get a hunkering...whichever comes first. ;-) All the rest of the berries I have frozen.

To freeze strawberries: Wash and hull. Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer and flash freeze. Then put in a freezer bag/container and label. Flash freezing ensures the strawberries won't lump and squish together into one massive frozen strawberry glob. In case you didn't already know...

I am anticipating...Mattie coming home! Soon and very soon!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh yum! For strawberry sorbet, I might have to be an unexpected guest. That'd be a sight: 2 ginormously pregnant women, shoveling their faces full of sorbet, it dribbling down their chins.

I am HOPING to get strawberries by Monday at the latest, but we shall see. I keep forgetting we have a local farm market right around the corner, though they can be rather pricy.

Adele is a doll, and you have FAR more flowers than I do. (read, I have none blooming)

Tooda-loo!
Bonnie

Leah said...

Thanks for the strawberry flash freezing tip. I always wondered how to do that. I know, sometimes I need to be told the obvious!

Unknown said...

"get a hunkering"...ROFL!!! HAHAHAHAHA! :) Um...*blush* I STILL HAVE a STRAWBERRY GLOB from last years picking! Sheesh! We are going picking on Sunday for Father's Day...Amos LOVES strawberry picking...now I have to get through one last day of 5 Day Club ;)...and then we are going to make him a handprint t-shirt...like with ...pround papa of +
kids hands with names and 2010 on it! :) It was all I could come up with! :)

My internet was down for 1 1/2 days and I was panicking about what was going on with you all! :) I know...pathetic!

Anyway, I'm sure now that I've told you WAY MORE than you wanted to know...but anyway...love hearing what's going on in your neck of the woods!